Friday 10 May 2013

the sculptor's model


hi there,
i have been in roswell 5 months now, which is almost the halfway point!  while it was hard to start working knowing i had a whole year of possibility ahead of me, once I got going I was happy to paint away.  i just wanted to show a few friends what I have started thus far and to invite your comments and feedback, which i hope is positive.  these works are only 25-50% done, so i would love to know how/if you respond to them. i have been avoiding feedback because i felt i needed to rely on my own instincts, but right now i think i could use something to push me forward.  i would like to interweave more abstract elements into these figurative works--so any idea of how to do that successfully could be useful. at this point I still feel like I haven't struck gold, so to speak--and of course i hope i will!   I think I am calling my show "the sculptors model"  which refers to a 1957 book I have of nude reference photos, but deals with the idea of turning the body into art. I have my show in november, and will exhibit an eclectic selection of paintings  but what I am excited about is that I want to show them along two sculptural pieces, some cyanotypes of my digital collages and some "photographic interventions".  i haven't made any of that yet. anyways, i know i have kept my head down these past months and not shared a whole lot about my time in roswell, so suffice it to say I am having the time of my life and this residency is truly a special place.  

1 comment: